Saturday, September 17, 2011

Doubts

She turned and headed towards her table. Aden was there, frowning at the napkin holder. She pulled out a chair.

"Hi."

He looked up quickly, the frown disappearing in what Nora thought should be nominated for Olympic-winning time.

"Oh, hi," he said, offering a smile. "I didn't see you."

"It's crowded today," she observed. "Hard to see the counter. I've been there a while."

"Oh, I see."

"I didn't see you here, either. Ranna's the one who told me you were here."

"She was?"

"Yup."

"Does it scare you when she does that?"

"Does what?"

"When she knows everything?"

"At first it was a little weird, but now I sorta depend on it. Telepathy is very useful in a friend, you know."

"Telepathy?"

"Yeah. Ranna's telepathic. And telekinetic. And she can control fire. She's pretty epic."

"You're...You've got to be joking."

"Why would I joke about something like that?"

"You can't be serious. That kind of stuff doesn't exist."

"The first thing you should know about this place, Aden, is that nothing is at it appears. And neither are you, I guess."

She got up and left the table, leaving the shop without her bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment