Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hero

"Do you ever think that you're in the wrong job, Ranna?" Nora asked glumly. "That there's something, anything, better out there for you?"

"Me? Personally? Yeah, I know for sure that there is. But I don't want it," Ranna said, cleaning mugs. "But in general? I don't know. Guess it depends on how willing you are to fight for it."

"What do you mean you could have something better?"

Ranna gave her a sly grin. "C'mon, what superpowered hero wants to be caught dead working at some place like this? No, they want all the glory. The kicking bad guys butts, saving the day, falling in love...well, I guess I like that part. But that's about it. Superhero life just isn't for me."

"What's the point of having powers if you don't use them to save people?"

"I do some freelance stuff. Some group missions with a couple of pals of mine from school. Warren and Trea and Topher, you remember them. But I've had enough of that life. I'm ready to take it easy."

"Why don't you want to be the hero, Ranna? Why don't you want the spotlight when you do amazing things?"

Ranna stopped drying her mug, setting it down on the counter. She looked past Nora, almost like she was watching her past behind Nora's curly hair.

"I used to want that. And it ended up hurting my friends, and killing me. I'm lucky I'm alive after that."

Nora looked down at her hot chocolate, her spoon making circles, mixing chocolate and whipped cream together. "You never did tell me that story."

"And it's a story for another time," Ranna said. "Your boy's here."

"Aden's not 'my boy'," Nora protested. "He's just a friend."

Ranna gave her a knowing smile. "Well, then, you'd better get a move on it, hadn't you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment